Internal Control Analyst
The Internal Controls Analyst is overall accountable for establishing and maintaining a strong control environment within the Africa Zone. This will be achieved by performing an analysis on internal controls, providing recommendations on improvements, ensuring that the processes and systems governing internal controls are robust enough for risk identification and mitigation.
- Update, implement and maintain the MICS framework with local and global changes to risks, controls, control owners and any other required details;
- Drive awareness sessions with control owners and control executors on their responsibilities regarding controls in each function;
- Provide training/guidance to control owners and controls executors on their understanding and execution of controls in accordance with the requirements of the MICS framework, aligned to local systems and processes;
- Plan and communicate the scope and objective of internal control reviews as per the defined Internal Controls standards;
- Build business acumen by gaining an in-depth understanding of the business through performing walkthroughs of the end to end processes that govern each of the controls;
- Map and document the detailed end to end process walkthrough (including RACI, SLA’s and document retention requirements) within the internal control SOP;
- Document/update internal control SOPs with any changes to the business processes, MICS framework and/or Africa Zone Methodology;
- Conduct electronic data acquirement and analysis in process walkthroughs and testing of controls;
- Draft and complete quality working papers according to the Africa Zone Methodology;
- Document testing procedures, results and evidence/links in GRC;
- Identify design adequacy and control effectiveness gaps within the processes that create risk exposure and identify improvement opportunities to mitigate the risk;
- Collaborate with GRM and external auditors to incorporate any additional controls gaps identified into the existing internal controls testing procedures;
- Identify the root cause for each of the control deficiencies identified and quantify the impact of the deficiency on the process and/or the business;
- Define sustainable recommendations for action plans that address the root causes identified;
- Present working papers and recommendations to Internal Controls Lead for review;
- Prepare and professionally present gaps and recommendations for improvement to all the relevant operational stakeholders;
- Keep operational management and Internal Controls Lead appraised on the progress and any concerns to ensure delays are minimised and timelines are met;
- Key point of contact to the business for internal control queries on MICS, DAG, SODs, Finance Control policies and Finance Excellence Program Accountable to the BU/Zone for timely and accurate issuing, follow up and reporting of the self-assessments (MICS, DAG, Policies) and local management within the different functions;
- Key contact for local external auditors: ensure alignment on timelines, scoping, progress, reporting of results, etc.;
- Ensure that all master data and mapping/references are updated timely in GRC;
- Document issues and deficiencies in GRC;
- Participate in the follow-up process with operational management to track and monitor implementation of remediation plans;
- Align results of CSA with the results from the independent assessment of the IC team/GRM/Forensics;
- Assess that SoD risks are mitigated by existing MICS controls or eliminated (high risks level shouldn't be exceeded);
- Develop regular routines with key stakeholders to provide status updates and/or keep abreast and support in any changes or challenges that impact controls;
- Participate and provide inputs in internal meetings;
- Assists with ad hoc management request reviews;
- Track and monitor compliance status/progress within the country;
- Actively participate, support and advise on controls requirements within business transformation projects;
- Remains current with best practice and legislation to ensure the adequate analysis and review of a variety of applicable areas in the business;
- Engage with other countries/zones and benchmark business processes governing controls in order to enhance methods, processes and systems that will improve effectiveness and compliance of business process that meet the organisational goals;
- Support the internal controls management team in building effective relationships with key stakeholders; and
- Assist internal controls management by contributing and ensuring that a value added, customer centric strategy and ways of working is implemented and observed in the day to day operations.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree/Honours (Finance/Audit preferred) or equivalent is a requirement; and
- Professional Qualification, i.e. CA(SA), CIA or equivalent will be beneficial.
- More that 3 years business control, internal control or audit experience.
- Understanding of the principles and application of good corporate governance and internal controls, with specific knowledge of the Africa corporate governance environment.
- Exposure to Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) sector preferred in the areas of manufacturing, distribution and finance would be advantageous.
- Understanding and experience of the nature and management of multi-national business operation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Works effectively in a team environment and creates an environment which motivates the team.
- Strong time and project management skills.
- Computer literate with a good understanding of the utilisation of Microsoft Office.
- Good understanding control design and audit testing principles.
- Experience in the use and evaluation of data analytics would be advantageous.
- Africa Zone Internal Control Manager
Audit: 3 Years