Junior Construction Specialist
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives.
Launched in 2014, the ‘Sport for Development in Africa’ (S4DA) Regional Project establishes sport as a tool for achieving development goals in selected African countries on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). From 07/2022 to 06/2025 S4DA focuses on promoting gender equality, female entrepreneurship, and gender-transformative approaches striving to change mindsets and behavior patterns regarding the discrimination of women and girls. The project will be jointly implemented with the African Union Sport Council AUSC and other governmental and non-governmental partner organizations in at least 3 African countries – Senegal, Tanzania (Zanzibar and Pemba), and Kenya. Additionally, smaller-scale measures will be implemented in other African countries.
GIZ is looking to fill the position of Junior Construction Specialist in the Regional Project Sport for Development in Africa based in Zanzibar, Tanzania
Duty station: Zanzibar, with regular duty travels within the region
- Support to efficiently executing construction related processes and activities within the region according to the rules and regulations of GIZ.
- Assisting in providing advisory, monitoring and supervision to the project implementation of the construction of gender-sensitive and inclusive sports facilities with WASH facilities, storage unit and sanitation facilities in Unguja, Pemba, Tumbatu island according to the agreed designs, BoQs. This includes as well capacity development measures for partners such as maintenance and repair trainings, advisory in usage concepts, sustainable infrastructure etc.
- Follow up all construction related activities, tasks, project participants and processes.
- Supporting in preparing tender documents for construction related services according to GIZ’s rules and regulations and liaison with the relevant departments within GIZ (construction unit, country office i.e.).
- Support in making sure that financial and administrative regulations for GIZ are adhered to by the contractors and other service providers.
- Liaising with relevant authorities in Zanzibar, Tanzania and GIZ, as well as contractors to ensure smooth implementation of construction related activities according to international and national laws and regulations.
- Engaging with local communities and stakeholders through participatory design and planning for construction activities to enhance ownership and ensure sustainability. Deputising and supporting other technical team members within the regional project.
- Advising the project on risks for construction activities and developing mitigation plans.
- Follow up health and safety on construction site and give recommendations.
The Junior Construction Specialist will perform the following tasks:
- Prepares, organizes and maintains proper documentation construction related documents, such as designs, bill of quantities, permits, reports, correspondence and training materials for maintenance and repair, usage concepts etc.
- Is supporting the supervision of construction related project activities to ensure that construction work meets quality standards and specifications.
- Works with S4DA project team to organize capacity development for partners in maintenance and repair of the constructed sports facilities.
- Co-ordinates with GIZ Admin Team and Country Office for general administrative support (e.g., processes requests and inquiries for general services, travel logistics, financial processing, contracts).
- Support to the filing system management for construction related activities as per GIZ Standards.
- Uploading construction M&E data and reports to DMS and S4DA M&E system. Working with S4DA project team in organizing community participatory workshops for joint design and planning for construction activities. Engage communities during and after construction on sustainability approaches.
- Assisting and setting up support functions covering planning, tracking, reporting, quality management and internal communication.
- Assisting and follow up design changes procedures and planning related hindrances until successful implementation on site.
- Regularly monitor assigned project performance and cost estimates to complete estimates at completion for reasonableness against plans and actual expense rate.
- Support reviews of project activities for compliance with procedures and standards.
- Identify and confirm requirements with the Contracts Administrator and the construction consultants to include reporting and invoicing obligations and other items that may affect the project’s set up in Cost point.
- Deputizes the Construction Specialist on a need-by-need basis.
- Follow up with contractors and service providers on invoices, reports etc.
- Support technical team in preparing and organizing meetings, workshops, seminars, and events.
- Support in preparation of construction related consultancy and service contracts as requested by the projects in accordance to P&R and maintain the relevant files. Regularly communicate with project stakeholders, providing updates on project progress, challenges, and achievements.
Other duties/additional tasks
- Attends internal team meetings/workshops and moderates on a rotational basis. ▪
- Drafts letters and general correspondences with partners and contractors and memos in English and Kiswahili languages.
- Capable of working with Excel-sheets and to translate texts into well-designed PowerPointpresentations.
- Assists project activities and other tasks given by the regional manager, technical advisor and other team members.
- Undertakes further job training related to his/her position and duties
Education and Qualifications
- University Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering, or construction management & technology, or architecture
- At least 1-3 years of professional working experience in a similar position, GIZ experience will be an added advantage
- Good working knowledge of ICT tools and related software (phone, fax, E-Mail, internet, project management tools) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office).
- Highly organized and able to multitask.
- Fluent language skills in English and Kiswahili.
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural and dynamic environment, preferably in Zanzibar.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- Knowledge of construction codes, regulations, and safety standards of Tanzania and Zanzibar
- Collaboration skills to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to engage with local communities and stakeholders.
Non-profits (NGO): 3 Years
Construction Management: 3 Years