Head Of Operations
Responsible for managing Operations and other Business Service support functions of the bank through the provision of leadership and operational support in the development and implementation of the Bank’s operations policies and procedures. He/she is also responsible for ensuring the quality and effectiveness of the centralized bank operations, IT service management, security services, product delivery, transaction processing, customer service, project management, commercial services operations, and process and issue management. He/she will provide visionary and strategic leadership to the centralized operations units and team members to ensure adherence to agreed Service level standards and ensure that the credibility of the bank is upheld.
- Develop plans for the achievement of Operational standards and cost targets for the areas under the control of the role holder.
- Agree on respective departmental staffing and financial budgets and monitor performance against budgets
- In conjunction with Departmental Managers, develop plans to ensure appropriate staffing numbers and capability to support all areas under the control of the role holder
- Compile and review on an ongoing basis performance figures/ statistics and monitor against targets/ budgets
- Interpret and communicate Bank policy covering Service Delivery and Operational Standards.
Internal business processes 40%
- Develop and implement effective processes to ensure that Operational standards and cost targets are understood by appropriate staff
- Develop and implement appropriate control processes to ensure that all elements of Operational risk, e.g. fraud, and follow-up of Audit recommendations, are managed effectively across all areas under the control of the role holder
- In conjunction with Departmental Managers, develop and implement plans to rectify shortfalls in Operational service and cost performance.
- In conjunction with business units, identify and implement process/system improvement opportunities
- To be aware of and understand the operational risk exposures in the bank and ensure that effective controls and procedures are in place to manage these risks
- Ensure that risk assurance processes are in place throughout the operations departments
- To ensure the achievement of group and local targets as set for specific KRIs including Nostro, Suspense Accounts, and Central Bank outstanding
- Ensure adherence to statutory and Bank legal requirements
- Monitor business and process metrics to measure and manage operations and service effectiveness
- Value-add to the business by proactively identifying new and developing risks and providing suggestions to senior management on how to improve the Bank`s operation
- Uphold an Audit ready culture at all times to ensure achievement of minimum ‘Satisfactory ‘ Audit scoring
- Set and maintain service management processes within all areas of the jobholder’s control
- Initiate actions to overcome problems identified in meeting the service levels.
- Set up the workflow process for Banking operations, and provide the needed support for smooth operations.
- Undertake the monitoring, reporting, and reviewing of the levels of service delivery by departments under control and service providers against agreed SLAs
- Achievement of agreed service level commitments.
- Effective management and reduction of customer complaints.
- Attainment of agreed targeted Voice of Customer survey
- Promote a quality customer service environment throughout the organization
- Implement best practice initiatives to enhance excellent operational standards and customer service in the Bank
Learning and growth 10%
- Counsel, motivate, and create a good working environment for all staff to enhance individual performance and productivity including an effective performance appraisal system.
- Develop and agree on an annual basis, individual and team performance objectives, standards, and targets
- Review regular performance against agreed objectives.
- Provide ongoing coaching and feedback to direct reports and members of the operation team by observing their daily activities and assisting them with complicated issues.
- Identify development and training needs and develop plans to satisfy areas identified.
Stakeholder Management: key stakeholders that the position holder will need to liaise/work with to be successful in this role:
- Chief Executive Officer
- Head of Retail & Marketing
- Head of Corporate Banking
- Head of Finance
- Head of Human Resources
- Head of Risk & Compliance
- Head of Audit
- Technical Team Head - Telcom Companies
- BOT Directors (Banking & NPS)
- Heads of Operations-Security & CIT firms
- Bank Premises Landlords
- Admin Officers-Municipal Councils
- Officer Commanding Stations-Police
- Key Stationary Suppliers
Education and Qualifications
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Banking or Business related field
- Professional Banking Qualification (ACIB) or Certified Public Account are added advantage
- At least 10 years of work experience in a Senior Management position in Banking Operations.
Role-holder must have exposure in:
- Significant Operations experience preferably at a Central Operations Centre level
- Branch Banking Operations with a good sense of responsibility.
- Service/ Quality Oriented environment
- Previous experience in planning and implementing change
- Significant experience in project management
- Previous experience in leading a large team
- Good leadership skills
- Knowledge of Banking and Business Operations: Well rounded knowledge of ALL the Bank’s operations and processes and excellent knowledge of Bank policies and procedures
- Risk Management: Ability to anticipate and mitigate risk by developing appropriate Risk Management Policies for the Bank
- Audit Standards and Legislations: Excellent knowledge of International Accounting and Audit Standards, and Legislation
- Compliance and Regulatory Framework: Top-notch understanding of the regulatory issues, reporting, and operational requirements as provided by CBK, KRA, KIB, etc.
- Conceptual and Analytical Skills: Analytical and practical understanding of workflow, capacity planning/optimization and process implementation
- Technology Skills: Knowledge of computerized Internal Audit Techniques, Computerized accounting and financial systems, banking applications, and spreadsheets
- Personal Ethics: Must be honest, fair, and just with self and others, and demonstrate integrity in work and business contacts.
- Communication Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills.
- Interpersonal Skills: Must be a people person, with the ability to interact with key contacts in the finance sector.
- People Management Skills: Staff supervisory skills and ability to engage, motivate, train, and develop staff.
- Results and Achievement Oriented: Strives to achieve results, enjoys measuring others, being measured, and being judged on performance standards and those of others she leads
- High level of drive and energy.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Managing Director
Banking: 10 Years
Operations: 10 Years