Head of Loan Recovery
The Head of Loan Recovery will be in charge of the overall management of recalled facilities (Written-Off Portfolio and Watch List/Hardcore NPLs from the on-balance sheet sitting under the Recovery Department). The ultimate objective is to maximize collections/recoveries, reduce the NPL ratio, prevent losses, restore profits, and improve capital position.
- Developing targets for the department in line with the Bank’s strategic goals and Ensuring that the set targets are achieved in time as planned and addressing the variance between the laid down targets and actual performance.
- Formulation of loan recovery strategies.
- To lead and provide leadership to RMs falling under the Recovery Department in developing strategy sheets and executing their responsibilities to ensure the attainment of departmental targets.
- Regular review of the reports prepared by RMs on the loan portfolio performance trend for further recommendation to the management.
- Review a list of uncollectible loans and recommend write-offs by assessing the trend of account performance on the delinquent loans and their collectability potential.
- Review the analysis of the Watch list/NPLs’ repayment trend sitting under the Recovery Department in light of monthly arrears reports to determine whether there is improvement or further deterioration calling for immediate action.
- Identification of training needs and recommending of appropriate training programmes for the department in liaison with the Head of Human Resources.
- Provide technical support to the various credit committees on the management of the Bank’s Non-performing portfolio including written-off book.
- To support all actions needed to implement approved debt settlements.
- To handle and manage all clients’ queries/concerns and ensure appropriate and timely closure for the same with the purpose of creating and maintaining good relationships between the clients and the
- Supervise the process of the performance appraisal for the department.
- Liaise with the Head of Legal department on a regular basis and provide frequent analysis with respect to the best recovery strategy/approach of ongoing litigation cases.
- Liaise with the Head of Credit Risk department to ensure that credit risk in the Recovery Management function is minimized by establishing an effective credit risk management structure within the function.
- Liaising and corresponding with key internal stakeholders from the business and support team to ensure smooth execution of the departmental strategies towards attaining the corporate objectives.
- Review and recommendation of credit requests, proposed debt settlements, and memos for management consideration and approval.
- To participate, review, and recommend for approval of the planning and budget of the department.
- To attend and participate in Board Credit Committee Meetings, ExCOM, Recovery Management Monthly & Weekly Review Committee Meetings, and any other related forums.
Key Accountabilities (Duties and Responsibilities)
- Financial 40% - Adequacy of personal competence to effectively perform the recovery tasks to ensure recovery maximization and budget attainment.
- Internal business processes 20% - Consistency adherence to and effective application of established policies, processes, procedures, and tools in achieving optimal efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
- Customer 30% - Consistency in meeting clients’ needs and turnaround strategies in a friendly manner which is fair and beneficial to both parties.
- Learning and growth 10% - Increase work competence and be conversant with all working tools & and systems.
Stakeholder Management: key stakeholders that the position holder will need to liaise/work with to be successful in this role.
- Credit Risk Management Department
- Corporate, and Business Department
- Legal Department
- Operations and Technology Department
- Risk & Compliance
- Global Market
- Service providers (e.g. debt collectors, auctioneers, valuers)
- Other Financial institutions
- Government Agencies
Education and Qualifications
- A Minimum University degree preferably in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or its
- A master's degree in accounting, finance, and economics or its equivalent is most desirable
- At least 8 years of work experience in the banking and financial Institution Industry preferably on Credit Risk Management, Corporate Banking Relationship Management, Collections, Loan work-out, and Recovery.
- Understanding of the bank’s balance sheet management particularly the management of credit-related costs in a view of increasing profitability, capital restoration, and
- Understanding of the Regulatory and Legal processes and Potential Avenues available in the management of problem loans.
- Credit Risk analysis expertise is highly desirable.
- Member of the Tanzania Bankers Association (TBA), as well as being Certified Director by the Institute of Directors in Tanzania (IoDT) is an added advantage.
- Credit and Financial analysis; review of restructuring/credit/debt settlement proposals for management/Board approval.
- Credit risk management; experience in credit risk assessment and provision of practical mitigations to prevent any probable credit losses.
- Loan portfolio management; closely supervising loan portfolio to ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of the loan contracts.
- Knowledge and effective application of all relevant banking policies, processes, and
- Negotiation skills
- Leadership and management skills
- Report writing and presentation skills
- Computer application knowledge.
- Tolerance; broad-mindedness and ability to look at things in different ways.
- Ability to work in a team and interact with all levels of staff.
- Decision-making ability; timely resolve customer complaints with solutions and recommendations to the management.
- Responsible and accountable for actions emanating from daily duties.
- Communication; effectively communicate with customers and colleagues at the working workplace and outside the working station.
- Managing Director
Banking: 8 Years
Credit Management: 8 Years