The Centre for Counselling, Nutrition and Health Care (COUNSENUTH) is the lead local non-governmental organization (NGO) established in 1998 in Tanzania with registration No. 9495, whose Mission is to improve the quality of life of women, children, adolescents & other vulnerable groups through promotion of optimal nutrition, care and support, counseling services, gender equality, Human Rights and women empowerment, with active community involvement.
Mandates and Core Business
Public Health, Food Security and Nutrition Improvement; Prevention of Diet Related Non Communicable Diseases (NCDs); Youth Health, Life Skills Development & Economic Empowerment; Gender Equality, Women Empowerment and Prevention of Harmful Practices in Women, Girls and children; Promotion of Food quality and safety standards; Promotion of water, hygiene and sanitation (WASH); Care for Child Development and Early Childhood education; Education Improvement; Nutrition care and support for people living with HIV (PLHIV); and Good Governance and Accountability.
Cross Cutting Areas
Advocacy and lobby; Social Behaviour Change Communication (SBCC), Training and Mentorship; Community Engagement; Counselling Services; Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) and Human Rights defense.
The Executive Director, in partnership with the Board, is responsible for the success of the Organization. The Executive Director assures the Organization’s relevance to the community it serves, its accomplishment, mission and vision and the accountability of the organization to its diverse stakeholders. The Board delegates responsibility for management and day to day operations to the Executive Director, and S/he has the authority to carry out these responsibilities, in accordance with the direction and policies established by the Board. The Executive Director, as the Secretary to the Board, ensures that all the principal organs of the organization function appropriately. These are the Annual General Meeting (AGM), Executive Committee, Board of Directors and the Management Committee which is Secretariat to the Board. The Executive Director is the chairperson of the management committee that supports the ED in smooth running of the organization.
Female Candidates are strongly recommended to apply.
Board Governance: Works with the Board in order to fulfil the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for leading the COUNSENUTH in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Constitution and Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support the Organisation’s Mission.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of the Organisation, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements to the management, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
Organization’s Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of the programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that COUNSENUTH can successfully fulfil its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of COUNSENUTH’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with Government, other professional, civic and private organizations.
Organization’s Operations: Oversees resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible effective administration of the organisation’s
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
Advocacy: Act as chief external advocate for the Organisation, ensuring key messages for the goals of the organisation are heard
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Governance, Legal issues, mission, policy and planning
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization.
- Keeps the Board fully informed on the condition of the organization
- Keeps informed of developments and governance, philanthropy and fund development
- Serve as the organization’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Oversee organization Board and other committee meetings
Management and Administration
- Provides general oversight of all activities
- Establishes employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the Organization.
- Assures program quality and organizational stability through development and implementation of standards and controls, system and procedures and regular evaluation
- Effectively manages the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations
- Reviews and approves contracts for services.
- Supervises, collaborates with organization staff.
- Conducts strategic planning and implementation.
- Supervises planning and operation of annual budget.
- Oversees marketing and other communications efforts.
- Encourages research, learning and documentation within the Organization’s programs
Funding & Financing
- Oversees fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals and maintaining relations.
- Recommends yearly budget for Board approval and prudently manages organization’s resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations
- Engages in fundraising and developing other revenues for the Organization.
- Have a strong financial leadership
- Assures the organization and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders
- Establishes and maintains relationships with various organizations and utilizes those relationships to strategically enhance the Organisation’s Mission.
- Listens to clients, volunteers, donors and the community in order to improve services and generate community involvement.
- Ensures proper representation of the organization to the public
- Initiate, develops and maintain cooperative relationships with key stakeholders
- Sets high goals and self- imposed standards of performance for self and others
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for successfully completing
- Achieves goals for programs, fundraising, advocacy and financial reserves
- Ensures excellence in productivity
- Ensures financial accountability and transparency that demonstrates the organisation as leaders in judicial use of charitable donations and donor funds
MEAL-Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
- Encourages research, learning and documentation within the Organization’s programs
- Manages accountability towards resources, program implementation and beneficiaries
- Protects and Promotes COUNSENUTH’s Core Values
Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor Degree in Project Management/Business Administration/ Social Sciences or other related field.
- A Master's degree and above in social sciences or other related field.
- Project management skills.
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, Board, volunteers and donors.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, staff, volunteers and the overall community.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community.
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong financial resource mobilization, management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
- Ability to plan and prioritize work duties as well as work competently under pressure and tight deadlines
- Have excellent computer and social networking skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
Board of Directors
Non-profits (NGO): 10 Years