Advisor Regional Civil Society Engagement
The GIZ “Support to regional integration” programme works to improve framework conditions for economic growth in the EAC by removing identified trade barriers, supporting value addition and assisting the business sector in developing policy recommendations, among other areas. In the area of trade SEAMPEC assists the EAC to jointly formulate harmonized positions in the negotiations for the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA). Furthermore, the programme supports strengthening the legal and regulatory framework thereby removing identified trade barriers in the services sector- including tourism, professional services and ICT- and unlocking private sector capacity to take advantage of market opportunities.
LIFTED (Leveraging Integration Frameworks for Trade in Services and Civil Society Organizations in the East African Community) is a new component of the programme co-funded by the EU and the BMZ with the overall objective of increasing regional trade in services and civil society engagement in the framework of the Africa Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) for people centered EAC integration. The initiative is anchored in the EAC Treaty whose goal is to deepen co-operation among the Partner States in economic and social fields. It also contributes to the realization of the EAC common market through accelerating growth and development by facilitating free movement of services. In addition, LIFTED is aligned to several regional strategic frameworks including the EAC Strategy on Trade in Services, the 6th EAC Development Strategy, the EAC Gender and Youth policies as well as the EAC-Consultative Dialogue Framework (CDF). LIFTED is expected to commence in early 2024 for a duration of up to 36 months. It will be implemented in partnership with the EAC Secretariat and selected regional private sector and civil society organizations.
Focusing on the current seven EAC Partner States, this component is expected to lead to an increase in trade in services and inclusive regional economic trade policies by delivering the following outputs:
- Output 1: Trade barriers in TiS (Trade in Services) are analyzed; policies properly defined, and commitments made.
- 2: Awareness of export opportunities is enhanced for private sector, including for women and youth.
- 3: Commitments in the tourism sector are implemented and sector growth is enhanced.
- 4: Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) are implemented, particularly for the engineering sector and other professional services.
- 5: Civil society, women and youth organizations are capacitated and enabled to influence and participate in regional economic integration
In order to foster regional civil society engagement with regional umbrella organisations but also non-state actors from all EAC partner states and the EAC Secretariat and institutions GIZ is seeking to recruit an advisor Regional Civil Society Engagement to contribute to the realisation of the objectives of LIFTED.
1. Advisory Services
a) Support the development of the project operational plan in collaboration with the EAC Secretariat and relevant regional stakeholders to achieve policy milestones under the project's objectives and ensure its integration in the EAC Calendar of activities.
b) As a desk Officer for CSO engagement with the EAC Secretariat, plan and convene activities within the framework of the EAC Secretariat for the successful implementation of the project. 2
c) Support the coordination and participation of the EAC Secretariat and Partner States' relevant experts in the regional and national dialogue meetings and ensure effective representation and participation of women, youth and CSOs stakeholders.
d) Support the convening of the Annual EAC SG Forum, the establishment of the regional technical working group for CSOs with the EAC Secretariat and the submission of the CSO recommendations to the relevant sectoral council and follow-up on the status and decision made for their implementation.
e) Facilitate the development of the framework agreement/modalities of engagement between the EAC Secretariat, the East African Civil Society Organizations Forum (EACSOF) and other stakeholders for the success of the project implementation.
f) Support the EAC Secretariat in the resource mobilization and implementation of the CDF action plan with the Regional Dialogue Committee for sustained CSOs engagement in regional economic integration.
2. Regional networking and cooperation
a) Establish close cooperation with the EAC Secretariat, particular its Trade and Gender Departments and relevant structures within the EAC institutions (such as Ministries of EAC Affairs).
b) Collaborate with stakeholders, including civil society organizations, government officials, national women and youth experts of the EAC Partner States, and international organizations, to promote the participation of CSOs in the EAC economic integration.
c) Exchange in regular dialogue with the key partners and stakeholders of the project on policy and legal aspects of the project activities
d) Ensure cooperation and engagement with regional and international organizations on the project.
3. Capacity Building and knowledge management
a) Provide training and capacity-building activities to women, youth and EAC partner states' teams, fostering a better understanding of EAC policies, and laws on improving CSOs and non-state actors' engagement in regional economic integration.
b) Support, prepare and present comprehensive reports on CSOs matters within the EAC, compliance, and progress in the EAC integration process.
c) Supports the monitoring and evaluation of project activities and results in line with the project's objectives and indicators.
d) Draws up reports and presentation documents for internal and external presentations.
e) Prepare appropriate inputs for presentations and contributions to project reports, including annual reports, and contribute to other information required by the project manager and GIZ Head Office.
4. General programme management
a) Support the project with advisory and regular progress reporting on the assigned work packages.
b) Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams to ensure the successful implementation of cross-sectoral outputs.
c) Efficiently manage resources, budgets, and timelines for assigned activities.
d) Develop and implement monitoring and evaluation plans to assess the impact and success of assigned activities.
e) Contribute to knowledge management within the project and the wider GIZ-EAC Cluster.
f) Maintain an excellent communication and information flow between the EAC Secretariat, Civil Society, and GIZ.
g) Provide inputs for communication, visibility, monitoring and reporting. h) Perform other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Education and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in a relevant field of study such as Social Sciences, Law, Development Studies, political science, economics or similar. t
- Intercultural and political intuition, diplomatic skills and confidence in the context of the EAC integration process
- Fluent English, French and Kiswahili language skills
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience in international cooperation in East Africa, particular on civil society engagement
- Proven work experience in advisory services to senior-level public servants and authorities as well as to civil society and private sector stakeholders.
- Experience in project management including reporting, monitoring and evaluation.
- Proven intercultural communication competency, proactive, team player with excellent analytic skills; good writing and presentation skills.
- Experience in change management processes would be of additional benefit in addition to a good command of MS Office.
- Excellent knowledge of the East African Integration agenda, especially the Common Market and the people-centered and market-driven integration
- Advanced knowledge of the EAC Consultative Dialogue Framework for non-state actors' participation in the East African Community Integration.
- Work experience with GIZ, European Delegations, or EU-funded programmes will be an added advantage.
- Ability to work independently and co-operatively, flexibility to work on a diverse range of projects with proven results and to undertake frequent travel by road and by air.
- Adaptability and willingness to support and collaborate with different work outside the scope of responsibility
- Sound organizational and coordination skills.
Non-profits (NGO): 1 Years