The Junior Agronomist will be responsible for supporting the adoption of climate smart technologies by farmers and service providers in the potato value chains. S/he will support specific climate smart field-based activities and extension systems linked to inclusive business cases, which are potentially supported through the project’s climate innovation and investment facility funds for interventions and scaling. S/he will work in coordination with the Project Coordinator , Senior Agronomist and the M&E Advisor to contribute to cost/benefit analyses which will underpin the investments for effective climate resilient production systems.
- Support the co-design of climate smart interventions based on farming systems approach and farmer typology and profiling;
- Support the training and coaching of extension service providers on climate smart practices and technology adoption;
- Support extension providers in delivering needs-based and practical trainings to male, female and young farmers;
- Support the testing of profitable climate smart innovations with smallholder farmers in collaboration with the research partners;
- Contribute to improved service delivery to farmers by cooperatives, agri-SMEs and service providers in collaboration with consortium partners;
- Support SMEs in the promotion, market uptake and scaling of evidence-based climate smart technologies;
- Support the provision of tailormade information to producers and SME’s on crop suitability, climate risks and cost effectiveness/viability of interventions;
- Support the identification and analysis of the barriers for the uptake of climate smart technologies and formulate recommendation to SME’s, financial institutions and government;
- Support the brokering and creation of improved linkages between farmers, cooperatives, public and private service providers and other relevant stakeholders through the development of inclusive business cases;
- Contribute to learning on scaling CSA.
Education and Qualifications
- A relevant academic qualification in agronomy, Agriculture, or related field
- Minimum of 2-5 years of experience of working in agronomy advisory and/or agribusiness development
- Knowledge of technical aspects of prioritized commodities (pulses, oilseed and grains) and farming systems in east Africa;
- Experience in famer extension, SME advising, and agribusiness case development;
- Experience in climate smart agriculture design and financial analysis of climate smart technologies will be an added advantage;
- Experience working with female entrepreneurs and gender integration approaches, as well as young agri-enterpreneurs;
- Knowledge climate smart innovation and farmer adoption;
- Experience with result-based service provision and farmer organization strengthening;
- Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting and presentation skills;
- Willingness to travel to all project locations.
Agriculture: 2 Years
Operations: 2 Years