Technical Specialist Climate-Smart Agriculture
The Technical Specialist Climate-Smart Agriculture will provide overall leadership for the programmatic implementation of the agriculture component for the programme, with a special focus on climate mitigation and adaptation approaches. The Technical Specialist Climate Smart Agriculture will be responsible for developing climate-smart implementation models to be executed and replicated in schools and communities in Mara and Dodoma regions. The TSCSA will be a national thought leader, influencing policy and investment to strengthen the government’s school feeding system – focusing on local production of commodities in schools and communities. The Technical Specialist Climate Smart Agriculture will provide oversight for the planning, implementation, monitoring, innovation, and evaluation functions for all agriculture-related program activities. S/he will provide direct oversight for the Agric team in Dodoma and provide technical assistance for the Mara team.
- Develop clear Digital Operations Manuals, tools and training modules for School Gardens and Farms to be productive and viable suppliers of school feeding commodities.
- Administers trainings on Climate Smart Agriculture practices in school settings and communities using digital technology
- Attend national technical working groups and conferences on Agriculture, and maintains effective working relationships with agricultural research institutions and allied National Ministries
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with the private sector for the supply of quality inputs that facilitate the adoption of climate-smart agricultural technologies.
- Collaborate with LGAs on Climate smart agriculture’s approaches to facilitate adoption in schools and communities
- Provide leadership in forging partnerships with s of schools, local government, and communities to identify constraints to the adoption of climate-smart agricultural technologies and collaboratively identify solutions
- Develop premier school garden and farm models that can be replicated easily.
Innovation & Program Quality:
- Identify promising scalable and cost-effective approaches that facilitate the adoption of climate-smart approaches including the use of digital technologies
- Develops and delivers integrated pest management training curriculum for extension agents, community groups, and School Garden Clubs.
- Strengthens capacity of Dodoma and Mara region administrations and the extension systems to apply integrated pest management (IPM) approaches and climate smart agriculture technologies.
- Develops and implements the school tree nursery model to expand the planting of multiple wood use wood lots
- Develops tools and approaches to monitor the adoption of climate-smart approaches in school- based gardens and farms.
- Tracks and reports on the amount of food from gardens and farms contributing to school meals.
- Oversees the development and monitoring of annual, quarterly, monthly, and weekly workplans for the Agric sector.
- Supervises the implementation of participatory extension approaches that involves Government extension officers and leaders’ farmers
- Oversees the commodity price management system in Mara and Dodoma.
- Ensures close coordination with MEL to ensure the appropriate data is being collected
- Develops and monitors the sector budget, ensuring spending is within the approved budget ceiling.
- Proactively coordinates planning and implementation with the other technical sectors to ensure smooth and cost-effective program implementation
- Publishes at least two success stories per year.
- Leads the recruitment of talented, experienced and competent agriculture sector Staff
- Mentors, coaches and trains staff and partners to build their capacity
- Nurtures an enabling environment, linking annual performance objectives to key performance indicators
Reports & Communications:
- Liaises with DCoP and respective sector Leads in developing and finalization of reports, and the final approvals of all programme reports
- Consistently develops high quality promotional material relating to climate-smart agriculture and, reviews and approves presentations prior to dissemination
- Collaborates with sector leads to identify operations and technical services support required from the Headquarters (HQ), schedule and follow up with the HQ on provision of support needed.
- Supports DCoP in building and maintaining relationships with donors, local partners, local government officials in Dodoma Region and beyond.
- Represents the programme in other technical external meetings, as assigned.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Support MEL in developing MIS for agricultural activities: collecting, cleaning, compilation, analysis and utilization.
- Develop systems to identify and report on program progress and quality of the activities
- Monitor the established linkages between the farmer groups (WE plus) and private sector, and ensure their sustainability
- Guide cluster-level staff for effective support during preparations and execution of school. specific Annual School Action plans (ASAPs) in collaboration with Commodities and School Feeding team
- Contribute to preparations, reviews and dissemination of Pamoja Tuwalishe program results via documentaries, quarterly reports, semi-annual progress reports (SAPR) and success stories
Coordination/collaboration and representation:
- Collaboratively develop scope of work, major milestones, partners’ need for enabling environment, targets, program quality parameters and DIP for each technical partners’ activity Support staff to establish and maintain relationships and networking with government authorities and other NGOs
Education and Qualifications
Master’s Degree in Agriculture Science or relevant certification is a plus
- 8+ years of agriculture program management with an NGO or any other development partners.
- At least ten years’ experience in training and equipping community groups to improve their household food security.
- At least 5 years’ experience working in school-based programs in Tanzania
- Experience in managing staff and empowering teams, and coordinating across teams
- In-depth experience in coordinating with government structures and representatives
- Experience in collaborating and doing business with the private sector
- Experience in carrying out market assessments and analysis, including but not limited to price monitoring, market integration, competitiveness analysis, and trader surveys
- Ability to develop implementation models that can be replicated and scaled by using digital technologies.
- Ability to coordinate work across different programmatic areas
- Strong understanding of and commitment to expanding school feeding to more schools in Tanzania.
- Strong understanding of the GoT’s Agriculture policies, and strategies.
- Good communication Skills and ability to speak, read and write in both English and Kiswahili.
- Proficient Microsoft skills including the use of Microsoft 365 suite of applications
- Expert planner and overseer of work for geographical disperse teams
- Demonstrates Adaptability to ever-changing scenarios and challenges
- A problem solver, teacher, mentor, and innovator.
- Availability to travel 30-40% of the time to project sites
Deputy Chief of Party
Non-profits (NGO): 8 Years