Regional Monitoring, Evaluation and Communication Advisor
The GIZ “Support to regional integration” programme works to improve framework conditions for economic growth in the EAC by removing identified trade barriers, supporting value addition and assisting the business sector in developing policy recommendations, among other areas. In the area of trade SEAMPEC assists the EAC to jointly formulate harmonized positions in the negotiations for the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA). Furthermore, the programme supports strengthening the legal and regulatory framework thereby removing identified trade barriers in the services sector- including tourism, professional services and ICT- and unlocking private sector capacity to take advantage of market opportunities.
LIFTED (Leveraging Integration Frameworks for Trade in Services and Civil Society Organizations in the East African Community) is a new component of the programme co-funded by the EU and the BMZ with the overall objective of increasing regional trade in services and civil society engagement in the framework of the Africa Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) for people centered EAC integration. The initiative is anchored in the EAC Treaty whose goal is to deepen co-operation among the Partner States in economic and social fields.
It also contributes to the realization of the EAC common market through accelerating growth and development by facilitating free movement of services. In addition, LIFTED is aligned to several regional strategic frameworks including the EAC Strategy on Trade in Services, the 6th EAC Development Strategy, the EAC Gender and Youth policies as well as the EAC-Consultative Dialogue Framework (CDF). LIFTED is expected to commence in early 2024 for a duration of up to 36 months. It will be implemented in partnership with the EAC Secretariat and selected regional private sector and civil society organizations.
Focusing on the current seven EAC Partner States, this component is expected to lead to an increase in trade in services and inclusive regional economic trade policies by delivering the following outputs:
- Trade barriers in TiS(Trade in Services) are analyzed; policies properly defined and commitments made.
- Awareness of export opportunities is enhanced for private sector, including for women and youth.
- Commitments in the tourism sector are implemented and sector growth is enhanced.
- Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) are implemented, particularly for the engineering sector and other professional services.
- Enhanced legislative and policy framework to widen the space for CSOs in the EAC region and Partner States.
- Enhanced participation of Women and Youth in decision- and policy making in the EAC.
GIZ is seeking to recruit a Monitoring, Evaluation and Communication Expert to coordinate Monitoring, Evaluation and Communication functions for the overall “Support to regional integration” programme with focus on LIFTED ensuring alignment with EU, EAC and GIZ monitoring frameworks and reporting requirements.
The expert will also support similar functions in the GIZ-EAC Cluster. The expert will be supervised by the Component Lead and work collaboratively with all other team members.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Develop a Monitoring and Evaluation Framework and system for the programme.
- Update the Results Framework/Logframe for LIFTED in consultation with project partners EU, BMZ and EAC.
- Regularly update the monitoring system and generate period reports to track progress and identify risks.
- Support the preparation of progress reports in line with the governance and reporting requirements of GIZ, EAC and EU.
- Support the elaboration of costed annual workplans for the monitoring and evaluation aspects of the project.
- Design and conduct periodic surveys to track and report project implementation.
- Support the EU and GIZ to conduct periodic monitoring and review.
- Provide technical support to the technical programme team to ensure effective monitoring and reporting.
- Support the organization of events for learning and exchange of good practice.
- Support monitoring and evaluation for the wider GIZ-EAC Cluster as necessary.
Communication and visibility
- Develop and coordinate the effective implementation of a communication and visibility plan for the project in collaboration with other implementing Partners and counterparts of the programme.
- Initiate concepts and communication products and support the project team and implementing partners to utilize them effectively.
- Co-ordinate content creation and production of information and communication materials for general and specific purposes and ensure dissemination to target groups.
- Mobilize media and ensure effective coverage of selected activities and events.
- Provide technical support and advice to the project team and implementing partners on communication and visibility matters.
- Regular liaison with the EAC, BMZ and EU communication and visibility counterparts to coordinate and streamline engagement for selected events and activities.
- Support communication and visibility for the GIZ-EAC Cluster as necessary
- Contribute to project modification, review or realignment of the project.
- Innovation and knowledge management.
- Maintaining a good flow of communication and information between all involved institutions and counterparts and GIZ.
- Develop and explore new project interventions outside the core area of responsibility, to expand the project/cluster portfolio.
- Enhance and strengthen the technical cooperation and collaboration with key partners to the project cluster/programme.
- Perform other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Education and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in economics, statistics or communications.
- Knowledge of relevant statistics and communication tools.
- Familiarity with GIZ, EU and EAC processes.
- At least 10 years’ professional experience in M&E or communications and 5 years in the other fields.
- At least 5 years’ experience implementing development cooperation projects in the fields of economic integration or trade, former GIZ engagement would be an asset.
- Experience in coordination of communication or M&E at regional level, especially with the EAC Secretariat.
- Proven experience in working with multiple stakeholders of the public and the private sector.
- Strong knowledge of the East African Integration agenda and especially the Common Market and Customs Union.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills.
- Ability to work independently, structure tasks and familiarize oneself with M&E and communication aspects of trade and civil society initiatives.
- Flexibility and ability to work under time constraints.
- Fluency in English is vital, French and Kiswahili would be an asset.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and high commitment to integrity.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be perfomed.
- Work experience with GIZ and/or European Delegations.
Non-profits (NGO): 5 Years