Regional Legal Policy Advisor
The GIZ “Support to regional integration” programme works to improve framework conditions for economic growth in the EAC by removing identified trade barriers, supporting value addition, and assisting the business sector in developing policy recommendations, among other areas. In the area of trade, SEAMPEC assists the EAC to jointly formulate harmonized positions in the negotiations for the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA). Furthermore, the programme supports strengthening the legal and regulatory framework thereby removing identified trade barriers in the services sector- including tourism, professional services, and ICT- and unlocking private sector capacity to take advantage of market opportunities.
LIFTED (Leveraging Integration Frameworks for Trade in Services and Civil Society Organizations in the East African Community) is a new component of the programme co-funded by the EU and the BMZ with the overall objective of increasing regional trade in services and civil society engagement in the framework of the Africa Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) for people-centered EAC integration. The initiative is anchored in the EAC Treaty whose goal is to deepen cooperation among the Partner States in economic and social fields. It also contributes to the realization of the EAC common market through accelerating growth and development by facilitating the free movement of services. In addition, LIFTED is aligned with several regional strategic frameworks including the EAC Strategy on Trade in Services, the 6th EAC Development Strategy, the EAC Gender and Youth policies as well and the EAC-Consultative Dialogue Framework (CDF). LIFTED is expected to commence in early 2024 for a duration of up to 36 months. It will be implemented in partnership with the EAC Secretariat and selected regional private sector and civil society organizations.
Focusing on the current seven EAC Partner States, this component is expected to lead to an increase in trade in services and inclusive regional economic trade policies by delivering the following outputs:
- Trade barriers in TiS(Trade in Services) are analyzed; policies are properly defined and commitments are made.
- Awareness of export opportunities is enhanced for the private sector, including for women and youth.
- Commitments in the tourism sector are implemented and sector growth is enhanced
- Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) are implemented, particularly for the engineering sector and other professional services
- Enhanced legislative and policy framework to widen the space for CSOs in the EAC region and Partner States.
- Enhanced participation of Women and Youth in decision- and policy making in the EAC
Output 4 will be implemented in collaboration with the GIZ DIGEAT project (Digitalization for East African Trade & Integration), in partnership with the EAC Secretariat.
GIZ is seeking to recruit a Legal Policy Advisor to contribute to the implementation of the objectives of LIFTED by providing legal advisory services under Output 3 (sector growth tourism) and Output 4 (Mutual Recognition Agreements).
Legal Policy advisory services
- Develop an operational plan with the EAC legal department to achieve legal milestones under the project's objectives
- Provide expert legal advice and analysis on the free movement and mutual recognition agreement process
- Advise, draft, review, and analyze legal documents, including agreements, treaties, and protocols relevant to free movement and mutual recognition in the EAC integration process
- Conduct legal research to stay updated on national regulatory frameworks and legal developments to facilitate the free movement of professionals and provide recommendations to ensure compliance with EAC legal frameworks
- Assist in dispute resolution processes, offering legal expertise to resolve disagreements and differences concerning relevant regulations, frameworks, protocols, and annexes concerning the free movement of professionals and mutual recognition agreements
Regional networking and cooperation
- Establish close cooperation with the legal department and relevant legal structures within the EAC Secretariat and its institutions
- Collaborate with stakeholders, including government officials, national legal experts of EAC Partner States, and international organizations, to promote EAC integration
- Exchange in regular dialogue with the key partners and stakeholders of the project on legal aspects of the project activities
- Ensure cooperation and engagement with regional and international organizations on the project
Capacity Building and knowledge management
- Provide training and capacity-building activities to EAC partner states' legal teams, fostering a better understanding of EAC legal obligations and improving regulations around the free movement of professionals
- Support, prepare, and present comprehensive reports on legal matters, compliance, and progress in the EAC integration process
- Supports the monitoring and evaluation of project activities and results in line with the project's objectives and indicators
- Draws up reports and presentation documents for internal and external presentations
- Prepare appropriate inputs for presentations and contributions to project reports, including annual reports, and contribute to other information required by the project manager and GIZ Head Office
General programe management
- Support the project managers responsible for all outputs with advisory and regular progress reporting on the assigned work packages
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams to ensure the successful implementation of cross-sectoral outputs
- Efficiently manage resources, budgets, and timelines for assigned activities
- Develop and implement monitoring and evaluation plans to assess the impact and success of assigned activities
- Contribute to knowledge management within the project and the wider GIZ-EAC Cluster
- Maintain an excellent communication and information flow between institutions, counterparts, and GIZ
- Provide inputs for communication, visibility, monitoring, and reporting
- Perform other duties and tasks at the request of management
Education and Qualifications
- Law degree, LLM, MCL other law/political science related degree
- At least eight (8) years of relevant legal work experience, preferably in international or regional law, with a strong understanding of EAC legal frameworks and governance structures
- In-depth knowledge of EAC treaties, protocols, and agreements, as well as experience in legal drafting and analysis and coordination of national legal experts
- Strong understanding of the EAC, its objectives, and the challenges associated with regional integration
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including conveying complex legal concepts to a non-legal audience
- Used to a fast-paced environment, can provide results quickly, and is resilient
- Excellent working knowledge of standard office IT and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, Graphic Design, Social Media)
- Proficiency in English; knowledge of Swahili or French is an advantage, and German is an asset
- Strong knowledge of the East African Integration agenda and especially the Common Market and Customs Union
- Advanced knowledge of regulatory frameworks around Data Protection and Digital Transformation
- Willingness to travel frequently in East Africa
- Work experience with GIZ, European Delegations, or EU-funded programs will be an added advantage
- Excellent communication and report-writing skills
- Flexibility and ability to work under time constraints.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and high commitment to integrity
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed
Non-profits (NGO): 8 Years
Legal: 8 Years