Regional Digital Trade Advisor
GIZ is seeking to recruit an advisor for its Trade portfolio at the EAC-GIZ cluster in Arusha, Tanzania. The position will support two projects: The Support to East African Integration (SEAMPEC II) and the Pan-African e-Commerce Initiative (PeCI) with a technical focus on accelerating the development of an East African single digital market by boosting regional digital trade.
SEAMPEC works – among other areas - to improve framework conditions for economic growth in the EAC, e.g. by removing identified trade barriers and assisting the business sector in developing policy recommendations. Furthermore, the programme assists selected economic sectors in their implementation of regional agreements that improve framework conditions for increasing value-addition. In the area of trade, SEAMPEC together with the EAC Secretariat and implementing partners supports strengthening the legal framework thereby removing identified trade barriers in the service sectors of tourism and ICT. Furthermore, the programme assists the EAC in jointly formulate harmonized positions in the negotiations for the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).
The Pan African e-Commerce Initiative (PeCI) aims to strengthen an enabling environment for cross-border digital trade in selected countries of the African Continental Free Trade Area, especially for the benefit of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs). For this purpose, the project supports intermediary organizations in the training of MSMEs on digital trade. In East Africa, it assists the East African Community to improve the framework conditions for regional e-commerce by supporting the EAC Secretariat in implementing EAC´s regional e-commerce strategy. The project also supports the Smart Africa Secretariat with the implementation of the blueprints for electronic payment systems and for e-commerce on a continental level. Moreover, the project fosters regional exchanges on innovative approaches by and for MSMEs with a focus on "greening" e-commerce in Africa.
This position will provide advisory services to the EAC Secretariat to implement the EAC roadmap to foster digital transformation in East Africa, particularly to:
- Improve the legal and regulatory framework of cross-border digital trade.
- Support inclusive eCommerce platforms for regional and continental trade.
- Improve cross-border electronic payments between African countries and their interoperability. Foster the take-up of e-Commerce and ePayments opportunities by businesses, and citizens.
- Advise on the legal and regulatory framework of cross-border digital trade in the EAC (e.g. on e-transactions)
- Support the implementation of the EAC e-commerce strategy- including the setting up of a monitoring system in close cooperation with the EAC Secretariat (Advice on inclusive e-commerce platforms for regional and continental trade in close cooperation with the private sector
- Provide technical advice to increase the availability of safe and affordable cross-border e-payment systems in the EAC region
- Support the conceptualization phase of a new EU project on Digital Trade
- Proactive facilitation and technical, administrative, and financial implementation of project activities according to agreed targets
- Establish an overview of project activities, deadlines, etc., integrate them into the respective GIZ planning tools (e.g. Onsite Operations) and present it regularly at e.g. team meetings
- Follow-up on the implementation of work plans and their timely amendment if necessary
- Coordinate activities with the team members at other project locations, particularly in East and West Africa, as well as in GIZ HQ
- Support results-based monitoring and update information on project progress, documents, and reports regularly on the status of results
- Support and facilitate work plan meetings, workshops, seminars, and other project activities with a focus on technical aspects
- Assist with PR work for the project and proactively develop input for communication of project results
- Assist with drafting Terms of Reference, setting up contracts, and following up on their implementation in a timely manner
- Guide and assist short-term experts assigned to a project in completing their tasks
- Implement daily operational aspects of all issues related to the project
- Process technical aspects and further develop the area of responsibility in accordance with the specified quality standards
- Support implementation responsibility (AV and Deputy Programme Manager) in all tasks regarding project coordination
- Contribute to the conceptual design, in particular the modification or realignment of the project, and ensure adequate knowledge management within the project
- Making technical and content-related contributions to overarching topics in cooperation with clients, partners, and other actors and thus supporting the development of the strategy
- Innovation and knowledge management
- Maintaining a good flow of communication and information between all involved institutions and counterparts and GIZ
- Develop and explore new project interventions outside the core area of responsibility, to expand the project/cluster portfolio
- Enhancing and strengthening the technical cooperation and collaboration with key partners to the project cluster/programme
- Perform other duties and tasks at the request of management
Education and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in economics, finance, trade, business informatics or similar
- At least five years of experience in implementing projects in the fields of (international) trade, sales, e-payments / mobile money, or in a related field – ideally in the private sector
- Fluency in English is vital. Knowledge of Swahili, German and French would be an advantage
- Experience in project management at the regional level, especially with the EAC Secretariat
- Knowledge of legal and economic aspects of trade in goods and services, cross-border e-commerce and e-payments
- Strong knowledge of digital modernization in Africa and of digital eco-system in the East African region.
- Proven experience in working with multiple stakeholders of the public and the private sector
- General understanding of financial planning and accounting
- Experience with development cooperation and donor processes would be an asset
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills
- Ability to work independently, structure tasks and familiarize oneself with new topics quickly and comprehensively
- Excellent networking and communication skills
- A great interest in ICT and technology
- Flexibility and ability to work under time constraints
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and high commitment to integrity
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Willingness to travel frequently in East Africa
Non-profits (NGO): 5 Years