The Programme Manager, as part of a small team, will be responsible for working on project planning, budgeting, implementation and M&E. They will work with civil society organisations and government departments, providing oversight for implementation of activities and ongoing support to partners to effectively implement their projects, meet deadlines, and increase their capacities, carry out field visits, and prepare reports the organisation and its donor agencies.
Utilizing the organization's techniques and standards, the Project Officer/Manager will handle the following – under Direct Supervision of the Regional Director:
- Ensuring that all programme activities are developed and implemented in accordance with the organisation's guidelines.
- Supporting the planning and implementation of workshops, trainings and conferences.
- Capacity building of partners in support of planned and ongoing project activities.
- Supporting the Regional Director in identifying funding opportunities and developing funding proposals.
- Development of programmes and partnerships in the field of adult literacy, technical and vocational education, non-formal and community education, etc.
- In charge of mapping, networking and integration of program partners and ensure that all partners are informed about the organisation's working modalities.
- Prepare training materials, guidelines and manuals for institutional capacity building based on partners demands, materials and equipment’s needs.
- Ensure the creation of networks and forums for Adult Education stakeholder in the country.
- Support the establishment of a functional Management Information System (MIS) for partners
- Development of Terms of Reference and other supporting documents for research studies, consultative processes and other activities of the organisation and its partners.
- Prepare quarterly, semi-annual and annual workplans of the program and grant activities according to the organisation's guidelines.
- Ensure that program activities are implemented or executed in accordance to the approved work plans.
- Ensure that transfer of funds to partners is done appropriately for proper grant management following the AoCs
- Ensure that all allocated resources are effectively utilized for the intended purpose
- Ensure that annual workplan and budgets are developed in line with the organisation's planning and budgeting guideline.
- Tasked with capacity building of program/project staff and implementing partners through identification of capacity gaps and plan capacity building programs according the program needs.
Project Implementation/Partner Support
- Support to governmental and non-governmental partners in the implementation of programmes and activities carried out in cooperation.
- Liaising with partners, consultants and other individuals/organisations for the development and implementation of the organisation's programmes/activities.
- Participating in programme visits to projects/partners for the development and ongoing monitoring of project activities.
- Ensure partner review and reflection events are held on a regular basis for experience sharing and learning.
- Participation in meetings, workshops, trainings, etc., with partners and other organisations for the development, implementation and monitoring of activities.
- Ensure sustainability of program intervention through promoting mechanisms that promotes ownership and continuity.
- Compiling reports of meetings, workshops, trainings, etc.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Establish and maintain a functional program M&E system and ensure the utilization of M&E database as per agreed schedules
- Monitoring and evaluation of projects carried out by the organisation in cooperation with partners, and the development of monitoring tools and reports.
- In charge of periodic technical backstopping to partners to ensure high quality program implementation.
- Conducting project reviews to track progress, and regularly assess project components, so as to measure achievements that can be effectively communicated to key stakeholders – including the Regional Director, board, Funders, and other constituents.
- In co-operation with the Finance Officer, monitor budgetary objectives, adjusting to project constraints based on financial analysis
- Design risk mitigation plan, optimising and improving processes where necessary
- Overseeing project planning, monitoring project progress and tracking project performance – ensuring all deadlines and short and long-term objectives are met.
- Overseeing and developing incoming and outgoing project documentation
Partnerships and Stakeholder Management
- Contribute to the development of proposals for various donors, managing the tender process from design to review
- Develop and manage co-operations and partnerships with non-governmental and governmental partners, providing advice to the Regional Director to the operationalization of those collaborations
- As requested, representing the Regional Director in meetings with partners and other organisations.
- As needed, representing the organisation in diverse meetings with governmental and non-governmental partners.
- Maintain and effectively manage strategic partnerships and collaborate with implementing partners as per the signed AoCs.
The Regional Director may occasionally require the Program Manager to carry out other relevant tasks that are not explicitly detailed in this annex.
Education and Qualifications
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience with INGOs in development, education or related field
- Understanding of adult education and development issues in Tanzania, regionally, and globally
- Excellent understanding of project development, implementation, monitoring and reporting
- Project experience of working with Civil Society and governmental partners
- Experience in conducting capacity development measures for different groups of stakeholders
- Proven experience in program management.
- Proven stakeholder management skills.
- Proven experience managing a team.
- Problem-solving skills
- Excellent inter-personal, communication and presentation and training skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong computer skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
Education & Teaching: 4 Years
Project & Program Management: 5 Years