Head of Building Construction
The Head of Building Construction will be responsible to provides leadership for the design and construction team. He/she will work alongside the designer to help facilitate the design process as it pertains to the feasibility of construction, while ensuring the project remains within the client’s budget.
The Head of Building Construction is solely responsible and held accountable for the timely completion, cost control and the health and safety compliance of their assigned projects. Additionally, he/she is responsible for ensuring that the projects are constructed in accordance with the plans, specifications and local building codes required.
- Overseeing and directing construction projects from conception to completion
- Reviewing the project in-depth to schedule deliverables and estimate costs
- Overseeing all onsite and offsite constructions to monitor compliance with building and safety regulations
- Oversee and direct construction projects from conception to completion
- Manage field crew and subcontractor schedules to ensure timely completion of projects.
- Perform quality control duties and responsibilities regarding work being performed.
- Ensure that subcontractors are fully executing and complying with their contracted scope of work.
- Direct/coordinate work in the field in accordance with plans and specifications.
- Communicate any conflicts or revisions associated with the project to the project team prior to execution.
- Coordinate required inspections with local buildings departments.
- Identify subcontractor non-compliance with safety and quality standards.
- Identify conflicts in the construction progress and communicate them to the crew
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from four-year college or university
- Minimum of ten years of professional experience in real estate development, urban planning, community development, or related ﬁeld
- Must be able to understand and interpret architectural and structural plans.
- Mathematical Skills- Ability to calculate figures such as percentages and square footage. Ability to apply basic concepts of algebra and geometry.
- Strong communication skills; thorough and attentive to details; able to prioritize and multitask; proactive and deadline-oriented.
- Ability to interact effectively with customers, vendors and employees at all levels of the organization.
- 10+ years of construction trade experience.
- 5+ years as a Construction Superintendent or in construction management.
- Minimum of 2+ years residential estimating experience.
- OSHA certification.
- 5+ years of construction site safety management.
- Training in PPE, Scaffolding and Fall Protection.
- Knowledge of acceptable construction site practices including safety and health regulations.
- Knowledge of applicable codes and regulations.
- Strong Management Experience.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and
- Technical Skills – Ability to read architectural and engineering knowledge of site planning, architectural design, aﬀordable housing ﬁnance precepts; experience securing government entitlements such as zoning; construction techniques; real estate law; negotiations.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clariﬁcation; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data eﬀectively; Able to read and interpret written
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s eﬀorts to
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best ﬁt the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events; Eﬀectively communicates changes to relevant
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and oﬀers help when
- Leadership - Internal: participates in relevant annual budgeting and strategic planning; works eﬀectively with internal support services (ﬁnance, human resources, IT, and development); Participates in internal leadership committees
Construction: 10 Years
Construction Management: 10 Years