The Executive Director is responsible for the overall management and strategic development of the organisation. He/she manages a small, dynamic team of professionals who plan and implement conservation and community development work programmes in line with the Organization’s mission and vision. The Executive Director is also responsible for identifying and securing funds to support the implementation of the Organization’s Five Year Strategic Plan; overseeing the smooth operation of the organization’s accounting and financial systems; reporting on programme outcomes to donors, supporters and the Advisory Board; and ensuring compliance with all NGO, finance and tax laws and regulations in Tanzania.
- Oversee the implementation of the Organization’s Five Year Strategic Plan.
- Coordinate the design and planning of marine conservation and community development programmes that include strategies for the engagement of women and youth.
- Prepare annual and quarterly budgets and work plans.
- Manage staff and ensure that all team and individual responsibilities are fulfilled in a professional and timely manner.
- Manage donor contracts including technical and financial reporting.
- Oversee financial and administrative operations of the organization.
- Implement organizational policies and procedures established by the Advisory Board.
- Ensure compliance with all laws and regulations pertaining to NGO operations including financial management and taxation.
- Raise funds and mobilize resources to ensure the financial sustainability of the Organization.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with all stakeholders including coastal communities, government authorities, research institutions, donors and funding agencies and relevant national, regional and international bodies.
- Communicate the Organization’s success stories to partners, donors, stakeholders and the public through a range of media.
- Manage the Organization’s website and social media accounts.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of the Organization’s work programmes to ensure organizational effectiveness, efficiency and value for money.
Education and Qualifications
- Minimum of a master’s degree, preferably in a field related to Environment or Natural Resource Management, Marine Sciences, Sustainable Development or Business Administration
- At least five years of experience working at management level in the NGO sector, experience in Tanzania preferred.
- Proven success in securing funds from development partners, charities and foundations and the private sector
- Experience of designing, developing and managing donor funded, multi-themed projects and/or work programmes with significant budget allocation (eg; > US$ 100,000).
- Experience of finance management including budgeting, expenditure analysis and financial reporting.
- Experience of managing and leading a team, setting targets and reviewing performance.
- Proven track record of maintaining strong donor and other stakeholder relations.
- Experience of working with a range of stakeholders including rural communities, government authorities, academic institutions and the private sector
- Professional experience working in the field of environmental management and/or marine conservation or related areas is an added advantage
- Commitment to rights-based approaches to sustainable development.
- Highly motivated, confident and ability to take initiative.
- Presentable and professional.
- High levels of honesty and integrity
Non-profits (NGO): 10 Years
Management: 7 Years