Collections & Recoveries Manager
The Collections and Recoveries Manager is responsible for collections and recoveries activities for loans with an aim of optimizing the performance of credit portfolio. This is achieved through auctioning daily collection and recovery activities and supporting outsourced collection services.
The role observes full compliance with the core principles of good lending enshrined in the Credit Policy, Banking Act, and Central Bank prudential guidelines in the respective markets.
The role implements the defined collection strategy for returning allocated accounts to performing status.
- Impart knowledge to customers advanced credit through outbound educational calls and text messages blasts.
- Management and collection of outstanding amounts under assigned portfolio of past due accounts with a view of minimizing impairment charges from bad loans through
- Outbound calls & emails
- Filed visits
- Outsources collection services support. The role supports outsourced vendors by training, participation in performance meetings, assignments of accounts, balances updates and performance appraisal.
- Recommending to the Bank through the manager on any exit strategies on portfolio at risk (PAR) accounts within assigned portfolio (Refinance, Capitalization e.t.c)
- Minimize income leakage by monitoring accounts to ensure that PAR facilities are properly priced, and raise cases divergent to this with the manager for correction.
- Management and recovery of outstanding amounts under assigned portfolio in NPL with a view of minimizing provisions through
- Outbound calls, text messages & emails
- Filed visits & Customers summoning
- Litigation – identification and preparation of files to allocate to lawyers.
- Negotiate with clients and come up with suitable exit or rehabilitation strategies for non-performing accounts within assigned portfolio
- Recommend to the Bank through the supervisor on any exit strategies on NPL accounts within assigned portfolio (Amalgamation, Restructure, F&F ETC)
- Recovery targets, write backs and restructured debts
- Expense Control goals.
- Confirmation that NPL facilities are properly priced to minimize income leakage
- Partner management. Support of independent collection agencies and lawyers.
- Effective use of allocated resources to minimize costs by optimizing processes.
- Identify and recommend for write off hard-core accounts hence lowering the banks NPL ratio
- Justify and process customers restructure requests
Internal Business Processes
- Collation and submission of quality data/reports in a timely manner or as may be required from time to time.
- Meeting regulatory compliance requirements and consistency in adherence to and effective application of established policies, processes, procedures and tools in achieving optimal efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Optimal utilization of available technology e.g CRM, collection system etc.
- Accurate asset classification in the system
- Audit ratings - Satisfactory
- CBK Inspection ratings - Satisfactory
- ORSA ratings
- Maintain MIS and update of the various recovery repositories, tools and templates with account management/recovery activities and strategies
- Participating in the bank or departmental projects as may be called upon
- Keeping and providing requisite data on assigned portfolio that is to be used in production of reports etc.
- Foreclosure (Security realization) Processing in liaison with relevant departments or units.
- Customer Complaint/Query Handling within the set SLAs
- Liaise with all external stakeholders involved in debt recovery which include Lawyers, Auctioneers, Independent Collection Agencies, Private Investigators, Receivers etc. while ensuring the TAT’s and SLA’s are compiled within collections & recovery processes.
- Periodic training of service providers to be in line with bank policy and procedures.
- Product development and improvement. The role form part of product user requirement creation and user acceptance testing (UAT). The role also identifies product gaps and proposes amendments through the manager to the product team.
- System development and testing. The role creates system user requirements and is involved in user acceptance testing.
- Processing claims of amounts outstanding from insurance for deceased customers.
- Effective customer communication through calls, emails, issuance of demand letters and notices etc.
- Quality of credit service standards and maintenance of TAT as per policy.
- Achieve clear communication and excellent relationship management in handling assigned portfolio of delinquent accounts.
- Conducts call visits and subsequently prepares call visit reports within 7 days of the visit
- Ensure client request are handled within the set parameters –e.g. restructures, waivers, full and finals etc.
- Efficient Management of external service providers as will be assigned i.e. ICA etc.
- Query and complaint management within set TAT and SLA and timely escalation
Education and Qualifications
- University degree Upper 2nd Class Honors
- Relevant professional qualification in Banking, Risk Management and Law an added advantage.
- Professional knowledge of Excel and SQL is an added advantage
- Certified Credit Professional course is an added advantage
Desired work experience:
- At least 5 years work experience in a bank or financial services institution of which 1 year should have been in Remedial Management (Debt Collections and/or Recoveries).
- Head of Digital Business
Banking: 5 Years
Credit Management: 5 Years