Chief Operating Officer: Ifakara Health Insitute
To play an integral role as a member of Senior Management team with broad understanding and ability to advise the Chief Executive Director and Management Committee (MC) on all major operations, system, and support functions of the Organisation.
- Assist the Chief Executive Director (CED) and Management Committee (MC) in developing and overseeing the implementation of long-term organizational strategies.
- Provide leadership and strategic thinking on financial sustainability and institutional continuity.
- Exercise leadership on bringing holistic institutional growth and effectiveness of operations as a key person and member of the MC.
- Manage effectiveness of systems and ICT strategy to deliver outstanding day-to-day services to the Institute.
Oversight and operational functions
These functions do not duplicate the roles of the department managers, but he/she will rather provide leadership, guidance and support to ensure top quality performance and coordination among departments in carrying out their functions:
- Governance Framework - work with the CED to implement the governance framework, including attendance at Board and Committee meetings; provide high level updates on operational and financial issues and the overall institution performance across the supporting functions of the Institute.
- Operations (admin, branches, facilities and logistics) - work with branch management and senior administrators to ensure effective administrative support to the research functions and across the Institute; ensure partnership and stakeholder engagement at branch level; effective risk management and legal activities (collaborative letters, contracts, lease agreements and all other legal documents and agreements) meets institutional standards; support the infrastructure and maintenance units to ensure on going management and maintenance of Institution's infrastructure and fleet through proper recording of expenditures and revenues generated from the two units, while ensuring adherence to set procedures and funders’ requirements, institutional policies, country laws and regulations.
- Financial Management and Legal Compliance– work with the Finance Manager to support and oversee high level management of finances and financial systems and controls with rigor and integrity; ensure that key processes are carried out and aligned with institutional and donor standards, including financial transactions, bookkeeping, accounting and ensuring accurate and timely reporting; lead Institution's financial sustainability plan to ensure long term results and alignment to the Institution's strategy.
- HR Management- work with the Human Resources Manager and team to ensure successful implementation of human resource policies, including fair remuneration, performance evaluation, contracting; new employee’s induction and training; implement the retention strategy and succession plan for key positions in the Institute.
- Business Development and Fundraising – support the CED in fundraising initiatives, liaise with the fundraiser in identifying other sources of core income within and outside the Institute, spearhead innovation and business development and sustainability.
Education and Qualifications
- Post Graduate Degree in Management, Finance or Accounting.
- An MBA or similar advanced degree is highly desired.
- Demonstrates passion for breaking new ground to lead change.
- Management experience at higher level with a not-for-profit organization. Please, note that experience in the for-profit organization would be an added advantage.
- Experience in managing “values-driven” organization will be highly prized.
- A track record of over 5 years in a senior role of successfully developing and managing large-scale projects.
- Should possess high level strategic, long-term planning, vision and goal-setting, exceptional relationship-building and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate passionately, effectively, and persuasively across a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Proven ability to build and manage teams.
- Skills mix should include organizational development, human resources management, budget and resources development, strategic planning and familiarity with information technology.
- Demonstrate experience in financial planning and analysis, contracts and legal compliance.
- Initiative, judgement, flexibility, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and work effectively under time constraints, services to others and solution oriented.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and commitment to the mission of the Institution.
- Knowledge of NGO institution and legal frameworks in Tanzania. Familiarity with Government Bilateral and Multilateral Assistance Agencies is desired.
- Fluent in the English and Kiswahili Languages with excellent presentation skills.
- Pursues improvement and results and creates a culture of mutual accountability.
Chief Executive Director (CED)
Non-profits (NGO): 5 Years