Area Sales Manager
The Sales Manager is in charge of the management of the entire sales department, overseeing all sales-related activities. The Sales Manager’s daily activities are vast and include overseeing the day-to-day creation of sales strategies. He/she will be required to study sales numbers in order to assess how successful sales strategies are in the business.
He/she will provide leadership, direction, and resources to the sales department and is accountable for the overall sales department performance, the achievement of sales department goals and targets, and the alignment of the business’s strategy. He/she is also charged with ensuring sustainable revenue growth by constantly maximizing market penetration.
- Human resource management – ensuring the people employed by the company either work directly to create a good or service or provide support to those who do.
- Setting departmental KPIs and evaluates the effectiveness of the sales initiatives, making appropriate changes that encourage achievement of overall sales and business targets.
- Coordinate with the Human Resources and the Line Managers to efficiently implement HR initiatives so as to motivate and lead a High-Performance Team. Check individual performances of the Sales Team and motivate them, either through personal counseling and/or imparting training in tactical selling skills to improve and enhance their capabilities and sales performance.
- Market Knowledge: Conduct regular market visits to check route coverage and availability of company products in the market, competitor’s activities and look for new business opportunities in order to safeguard the customer base and increase market share.
- Sales Systems: Develop and maintain an efficient distribution network and efficient routing to ensure timely deliveries and superior levels of service to company customers.
- Finance & Accounts: Co-ordinate with Finance & Accounts to ensure compliance with all financial norms to control collections and receivables.
- Marketing Activities: Coordinate the execution of marketing & promotional activities in the marketplace to derive maximum benefit out of such promotional initiatives.
- Also analyze the impact of such promotions and submit report to the CEO for assessment and evaluation.
- Develop and achieve or exceed the sales volume/revenue goals targets as defined in the Business Plan for the sales channels and control/monitor the Sales budget to ensure optimum allocation of resources to different businesses of the company.
- Leading, designing, and implementing the business’s development activities and corporate branding in order to increase revenue and gross profit.
- Mentor key personnel in the sales department, ensuring their constant professional growth, and assisting them in the execution of their duties where necessary.
- Spearhead the sales department’s strategy development initiatives, ensuring that they remain consistent with the business’ overall strategy.
- Tracking and reviewing actual sales results, weighing them against the set targets and business KPIs in order to determine the effectiveness of sales initiatives and implement necessary changes and solutions.
- Articulating the results of the analyses in reports, presentations, and recommendations to key stakeholders on a monthly basis.
- Maintaining a stable knowledge base of the business’ industry, competitors, and regulatory activity. Conducting regular research, keeping up with trends and best practices, which give the business a competitive edge.
- Identifying top talent and contribute to the recruitment of key sales department personnel, hence, maintaining efficient and effective execution of duties within the sales department.
- Develop and manage the customer relationship management process.
- Maintain market intelligence on marketing propositions of competitors and trends and ensure sharing of market intelligence with the sales teams.
- Develop the sales strategy based on regional market research to generate business opportunities and prioritize target markets.
- Ensure an efficient customer service operation to respond to customer needs and complaints
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Sales, Marketing or Management preferably an MBA.
- Extraordinary Sales skills, ideally working within the Fresh Produce Industry and FMCG
- You will have a proven track record of delivering sales and new business in the retail or wholesale, catering and processor markets (In the Tanzania/East Africa).
- Excellent commercial acumen and communication skills.
- 7+ years’ experience in sales of FMCG products, preferably in direct distribution channel; at least 4 years in senior/managerial positions.
- Proven and successful experience providing innovative sales development strategies that have immensely increased the sales performance of a business putting it ahead of its competition in the market.
- Capable of passing down clear and concise messages to the sales team being the head of the entire sales department, which will greatly determine performance and efficiency across the department.
- Draw reports, presentations, and proposals for key stakeholders concerning the sales department as well as instructive materials sales team.
- Highly technological, adopt and possess an understanding of software systems, practice management systems, distribution networks.
- Demonstrate superior leadership skills, being able to move a vast cross-functional team in a single direction and with a common vision and objective.
- Innovative flair with start-up business experience
- Experience working in food processing will be a plus.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Advisory and consultancy; Identify and advise on business partnering to develop strategic relationships to create opportunities, improve performance and solve business problems.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook, experience with Customer Management Systems, Warehouse Management Systems, and Inventory Control Systems is a must
- Financial Management; Assesses and advises on appropriate strategies to manage business and organizational performance regarding business and finance risk and effectively communicates the impact.
- Governance, risk and Control; Evaluates organizational structures and governance to protect the long-term interests of stakeholders. Uses risk management for the best interests of an organization and its stakeholders.
- Leadership and management; Acts proactively and thinks strategically, in anticipating organizational needs, recognizing the wider business environment and dynamics.
- Stakeholder relationship management; Aligns organizational strategic objectives with stakeholder needs and manages expectations.
- Strategy and innovation; Recommends a range of suitable strategic options from which to develop sustainable plans and objectives.
- Business Acumen: Planning and supporting the development of individuals’ skills and abilities so that they can meet current and future business needs. Providing feedback, instruction, and development guidance to help others excel in their current or future job responsibilities.
Sales: 3 Years