Advisor for External Audit
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives.
GIZ is looking to fill the position of an Advisor for External Audit in the Good Financial Governance Programme (GFG).
The Advisor is responsible for
- Managing support to the partner institution i.e the National Audit Office of Tanzania (NAOT) in the context of GIZ’s Good Financial Governance Programme (GFG)
- In collaboration with the GIZ Senior Technical Advisor provide professional advisory services to institutional development programme initiatives and cooperate with a broad range of target groups within and outside NAOT
- Facilitating innovation, knowledge management and capacity building in both core and support functions of NAOT
- Assisting with analysis of complex technical processes on External Audit to facilitate adherence to International Audit Standards regarding Supreme Audit Instutions
- Proactively facilitate capacity building for NAOT staff and Oversight Committees of Parliament
- Applying of principles, concepts, practices and standards in the area of Public Financial Management (PFM), Risk Management, Systems and Control.
- Advising the partner institution
- Assists and monitors the development and implementation of programme plans and activities in close consultation with counterparts
- Contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint programme activities and work at the regional level
- Deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with the programme’s area of activity
- Develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives
- Contributes to achieving the objectives of GIZ’s Good Financial Governance Programme (GFG) in the Field of Action on External Audit.
- Provides technical in-depth advice on External Audit processes for NAOT, primarily as regards Compliance and Financial Audit using electronic working documentation programmes such as TeamMate.
- Facilitate that high-quality management and professional practices are well established and applied in the Tanzanian Supreme Audit Institution
- Promotes norms, standards and best practices of External Auditing in the Public Sector in accordance with international standards
- Assists NAOT in developing performance measures to monitor the effectiveness of External Audit processes and results
- Assists in strengthening dialogue with the Legislative and Executive Branches of Government so as to promote a common understanding of the role and need for independence of the Supreme Audit Institution (SAI) of Tanzania in exercising accountability in the public sector
- Facilitates in cooperation with NAOT staff ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- Facilitates in formulating need based Terms of Reference (ToR) for and hiring of consultants to implement development activities
- Prepares appropriate inputs for various programme reports
- Networking and Cooperation
- Supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, assists with Public Relations (PR) work and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the programme environment and with other programmes to improve and maintain good working relationships
- Communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the programme
- Knowledge Management
- Ensures knowledge transfer to programme information
- Develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- Draws up reports and presentation documents
- Prepares appropriate input for various programme reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme manager and GIZ Head Office
- Assists with research activities and studies on political issues which benefit joint programmes.
- Coordination Tasks
- Assists with general programme planning and develops programme concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation
- Coordinates relevant programme activities at local level in consultation with the manager and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects
- Compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
- Handles order management on behalf of GIZ (e.g. offer preparation, impact monitoring, programme progress review, reporting)
- Other duties/additional tasks
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
- Is working on cross cutting topics for the overall programme (e.g. Gender, impact monitoring)
Education and Qualifications
- A University Degree in a relevant discipline such as economics, finance, accounting, business administration or public administration.
- Professional Certifications such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- At least 5 years of recent and relevant experience in Public Sector Auditing.
- Preferably, experience from working with or in a Supreme Audit Institution
- Working experience from Performance Audit would be an added value
- Skills and experience in executing control design assessments, identifying and mapping key risks, controls and gaps
- Experience and knowledge in creating, maintaining and interpreting technology policies, standards and procedures, and understanding their impact across organizations
- In-depth knowledge of the (political) environment, administrative structures and procedures
- Profound knowledge of complex public sector reform processes and their challenges/dynamics
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English and Swahili
- Willingness to frequent travels as required
- Excellent team, communication and reporting skills including the application of basic IT tools (e.g. MS Office 365)
Certified Public Accountant / NBAA